Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 organizations working together with partners and local communities in more than 90 countries. Our vision is a just world without poverty. We want a world where people are valued and treated equally, enjoy their rights as full citizens, and can influence decisions affecting their lives. Oxfam first provided support in Afghanistan in 1961 and has been directly providing humanitarian and development assistance in the country since 1991. Oxfam currently works in Kabul and other ten provinces of the country: Balkh, Daikundi, Herat, Kandahar, Kunduz, Nangarhar, Takhar, Bamian, Parwan, and Paktia. Through its local partners, Oxfam provides assistance to families and communities affected by natural and man-made disasters. It works with poor communities to help them pull themselves out of poverty and improve their lives. It promotes the rights of women and youth to become agents of change and fight for their rights. In a critical but constructive way, Oxfam works with government institutions to build capacity and influence policies that will help address structural poverty and inequality. To create lasting change, Oxfam and its partners also speak out on behalf of marginalized groups at the highest levels in both Afghanistan and among the international community.
- To maximize coverage of Oxfam in Afghanistan works, and influencing/campaign messages by developing and delivering effective media and communication strategies and visibility products.
- Raises the profile of Oxfam in Afghanistan’s work
- Works closely with the country influencing and program team and delivers media work that has a significant impact on Oxfam’s public image – at country level – and makes sensible judgments, working within Oxfam policy and procedures.
- Makes decisions and solves problems on complex issues, requiring creative thinking to find the best solutions and drawing on information from a variety of sources to inform decision making.
- Required to operate to tight deadlines, using independent judgment within clear parameters.
- Develops and implements projects which could be either stand-alone or part of larger programs.
- Represents Oxfam to external contacts, especially journalists. Expert knowledge of the Afghan media environment and communication tools
- Capacity to independently produce quality media and communication materials (press releases, video, photos, audio, infographics.) that can be used by a variety of media at different levels
- Capacity to work closely and effectively as an influencing team member in Oxfam Country Office
- To regularly visit country programs to ensure a direct link between program work and media coverage, and to identify and generate high-quality media and communication opportunities.
Key responsibilities of the Communications Officer include:
- To coordinate internal communications in the Oxfam Country Office.
- Work closely with members of the influencing manager/advisor to plan and create effective and engaging media and communication content.
- To regularly generate high-quality media coverage of Oxfam’s program and influencing work, primarily for national media but also occasionally international outlets. This includes collecting case-studies, developing press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organize press conferences, media briefing, organizing visits of journalists and celebrities to program locations where Oxfam and partners have programs. (including logistical arrangements).
- To produce digital contents (stories, photos, blogs, videos) to be used on Oxfam and other websites and to liaise with relevant staff at regional and affiliate levels to maximize the use of the contents generated.
- To pro-actively support a communication plan with a media plan in collaboration with and support of Influencing Manager/Advisor.
- Lead and assist country team members to maintain a social media presence for the country programs.
- If required, act as spokesperson for the county programs in media interviews, and brief other staff ahead of media interviews or press conferences
- To contribute to media and overall influencing/communication strategy planning for the country programs
- To regularly visit country programs to ensure a direct link between program work, influencing work and media coverage, and to identify and generate high quality influencing and communication/media opportunities.
- Conduct translation and interpretation tasks when required
- To build relationships with media colleagues in other organizations (e.g. NGOs, CSOs, UN), to coordinate and collaborate on media-related works
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage on livelihood, poverty, women, peace and security, National Action Plan 1325, migration, humanitarian, governance, the private sector, and other key issues, and to draw lessons to improve coverage, and provide regular analysis on issues relevant to Oxfam’s program and influencing work
- Develops work plans, individual development plans, and regular reports to Influencing Manager
- To keep updated on the latest developments in the country related to the development context and provide brief monthly progress reports of the international and national media and advocacy works as required.
- Proactively cultivate relationships with key media contacts and compile and maintain contacts and a general database in close coordination with others
- Build a sustained and coherent contact with media on key issues and ensure that sensitivities on the issues are taken into consideration while formulating activities with communities and partners.
- Frequently update our Oxfam in Afghanistan social media outlets (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc.) and ensure we dissemination about our program at a minimum on a weekly basis
- Undertake any tasks which are necessary to deliver country programs across the country as required, including technical support to staff, partners, and allies.
- Manage day to day running and general administrative duties such as keeping databases and media contact lists up to date, recording and monitoring interactions with media on the issues that Oxfam is engaged in, as well as the results generated.
- Minimum two years of experience in a similar position for an INGO
- University degree
- Strong writing skills, preferably with a history of writing for media, and ability to produce quality communication materials within tight deadlines
- Strong organizational and personnel management skills, with the ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines.
- Strong social media skills (e.g. using websites/Twitter/Facebook/Youtube/blogs) and knowledge of uploading photos/videos, the experience of using online fora
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with good strategic perspective, able to understand complex issues and information from different sources and present this clearly and simply
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner and to identify and develop new ways to use the media to Oxfam’s advantage
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English and local languages
- Photography and Videography skills, with experience working with Photoshop, and other design software and/or Filming and editing skills for short video packages
- Good understanding of sustainable development issues and a rights-oriented approach.
- Able to travel to program/project areas on a regular basis
Note: Oxfam is a child safe organization and all successful applicants will be required to sign the Child Safeguarding Code of Conduct.
Interested candidates are requested to send their application (complete C.V along with a cover letter and reference information) to : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please specify the position title as well as the vacancy number in the subject line of your email, or else your CV will not be considered for mentioned position.
- Candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted
- The Position is open till July 31, 2019 on Rolling Basis, until position filled.
Equal Opportunity: OXFAM is an equal–opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc
- Experience Level Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Experience 1
- Radio field Bachelor
- Contract Duration Fixed term one year (with 3 months of probation) Extendable
- Number of Positions 1
- Gender Male, Female