- Vacancy NumberCRD0046/21
- Salary OfferNTA Salary Scale, Grade E
- Total Years Experience3 Years
- EducationBachelor Degree
- No. Of Jobs:1
- GenderMale, Female
Background Information – Cordaid
Cordaid was established in 2000, when several Dutch aid organizations joined forces. But our history goes back more than a century. Cordaid has changed over the years and is more than a donor now. Reducing fragility has become our core priority and we work in all contexts of fragility, from relief, through rehabilitation to longer term development. To do this effectively we seek funds, start partnerships and compete on a global market.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments and inspired by compassion, solidarity and subsidiarity, Cordaid’s mission is to reduce fragility and the vulnerability of people where it is most needed and most difficult. We recognize that the overriding challenge in fragile and (post-)conflict countries is restoring trust and social cohesion, at community level and between communities and the state. This is what Cordaid does, right in the heart of communities, by mobilizing global networks, resources and knowledge. By doing this, we help people move beyond survival and live in dignity.
Cordaid does this by promoting equality and social inclusion, by increasing the resilience of people and societies and by strengthening the social contract between citizens and their governments. Wherever we can, we combine lifesaving humanitarian aid with the longer-term improvement of health care systems, economic opportunities and resilience, and the promotion of security and justice.
Background Information – Afghanistan Country Office
Cordaid is working in and on fragility, and has been active in Afghanistan since 2001, aiming at a stable and peaceful country. We work in 6 thematic areas, supported by lobby and advocacy activities: health care, extractives, security and justice, humanitarian aid, resilience and private sector development. We provide programmatic leadership and require that our operations and those of our local partners are implemented to the highest standards complemented with knowledge generation that incorporates best practices and lessons learned.
Background Information – Job-specific
The Afghanistan health system has made considerable progress, and the health indicators have also significantly improved between 2003 and 2020. The key enablers for the health sector’s improvements have seen strong local stewardship, sound and stable policy frameworks, prioritization of investments in primary care, and BPHS and EPHS implementation. However, the COVID-19 outbreak poses a significant challenge to the country that is already struggling with deep-seated poverty and long-running conflict, and political instability. The implications of existing conflict and the newly emerged COVID-19 crisis go deeper than stats and figures, resulting in long-lasting damage to the physical, mental, social, and economic well-being of individuals, families, and communities.
To contribute to the health response in mitigating the recent COVID-19 outbreak and reducing related morbidity and mortality, Cordaid has been mobilizing resources to implement cost-effective and high impact interventions in the country. In partnership with Agha Khan Foundation (AKF), Cordaid is initiating an EU Funded Project to strengthen Afghanistan’s COVID-19 response. The project will cover 16 provinces, while Cordaid, with its local partners, will implement the project planned activities in 8 out of the 16 target provinces.
This position’s incumbent is responsible for the capacity building of healthcare providers to effectively manage COVID-19 cases, targeting the district level health facility staff (CHCs and DHs) to ensure healthcare providers can provide quality and timely services to COVID-19 cases in line with the WHO recommended training package.
- Provide technical training to the health staff of target health facilities on Covid-19 prevention, mitigation, and case management according to WHO guidelines and teaching material,
- Participate in conducting related health workshop, on the job training, and supportive supervision at provincial and district levels,
- Plan and conduct training for health workers on the proper use of PPE kits, preparation of disinfecting solution, and disinfection of HFs,
- Prepare training materials in line with the WHO and MoPH recommendations and print training material/handouts for the trainees,
- Provide orientation sessions to influential community elders and religious leaders on risk reduction and prevention of COVID-19,
- Assist in developing IEC material in line with the WHO and MoPH recommendations,
- Coordinate with PPHD and health partners including BPHS implanting NGO for the update of training material for the COVID-19 response,
- Provide activity reports and develop success stories from the relevant health teams and community,
- Participate in monitoring and supervision visits to the target health facilities in the field,
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in medicine
- Having postgraduate study in clinical medicine(preferably infectious diseases or medical laboratory)
- At least three years of experience in training and capacity building of health staff
- Understanding of Afghanistan’s health sector and key players
- Good understanding of COVID-19 prevention, diagnosis, and treatment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English
- Ability to seek and apply knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of Cordaid,
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor capacity development,
- Demonstrated ability in competency-based adult education and clinical training
- Spoken and written competence in English, Dari, and Pashtu
- Able to travel freely to project sites at the district level,
- Good computer skills; including the ability to use MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to collect data, establish facts, define problems, work proactively, and draw valid conclusions.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent interpersonal, coordination, and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity,
- Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning, organization, result orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in Cordaid and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example,
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan, and applies newly acquired skills
Coordination and collaboration
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement and communication through the policy consultation, design, and implementation phases,
- Builds strong relationships with government authorities, line ministries, and other stakeholders, focusing on projects results and responding positively to feedback,
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Kabul time.
- Applications should include a motivation letter and an extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.