- Contract Duration 1 year
- Gender Male, Female
Since late November 2014, DAI has been implementing the USAID funded Strong Hubs for Afghan Hope and Resilience (SHAHAR) project with the Deputy Ministry of Municipalities (DMM) and in up to twenty provincial municipalities across Afghanistan in order to form well-governed, fiscally sustainable Afghan municipalities capable of meeting the needs of a growing urban population. As of November 30, 2017, the SHAHAR project was extended for two additional years in order to continue to partner with and support DMM; to partner with and support Kabul Municipality in the core areas of administrative efficiency, client management, rehabilitation of municipal landfills, and revenue generation; and to continue to partner with and build the capacity of the four regional hub provincial capitals of Kandahar City, Herat, Jalalabad, and Mazar-e-Sharif to serve as regional learning hubs, providing a mechanism to continue to deliver technical assistance and training to all 20 original SHAHAR partner municipalities, while also strengthening the capacity of municipal staff and systems in the regional hub provincial municipalities.
In 2019, USAID expanded SHAHAR’s program activities to the following 10 additional municipalities: Puli Alam (Logar Province), Maydan Shahr (Maydan Wardak Province), Ghazni (Ghazni Province), Qalat (Zabul Province), Lashkar Gah (Helmand Province), Aybak (Samangan Province), Maymana (Faryab Province), Qala-I-Naw (Badghis Province), Chaharikar (Parwan Province), and Puli Khumri (Baghlan Province).
The Finance Officer reports to the Sr. Finance Manager in all activities related to finance according to the DAI policies and procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Finance Officer will perform following functions but not limited to:
- Review financial documentation received from the various units of the project including those from the regional and municipal offices and posting of the transactions in the Field Accounting System (FAS).
- In consultation with the Sr. Finance Manager, resolve observations and/or findings on invoices and other supporting documents.
- Review cash advance requests and supporting documents ensuring that they are in accordance with the project’s policies.
- Export from Field Accounting System (FAS) all posted expenditures to DAI/Bethesda through the ORACLE.
- Prepare bank reconciliations of SHAHAR bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Review and process CCN salaries and withholding taxes.
- Assist the Finance Unit maintain a good filing system for all pending and processed payments for audit trail.
- Ensure that all reporting requirements are met while implementing proper reporting procedures and maintaining quality.
- Any other tasks assigned by Sr. Finance Manager.
- Experience – Four (4) years of relevant finance and accounting experience of USAID-funded projects or seven (7) years overall experience.
- Education – A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or similar areas.
- Language Skills – Level III English capability required.
- Computer Skills – Good skills in using word processing and spreadsheet as well as electronic communications programs required. Field Accounting System (FAS) working knowledge desirable.
- Self-Motivation and guidance – demonstrated initiative and self-motivation in handling all assigned tasks required.
Interested Applicants are requested to submit a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the mentioned position, and detailed curriculum vitae, indicating on the Subject line the title of the position (Finance Officer). Applications without subject line will be not considered.
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only shortlisted candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview