About Islamic Relief Worldwide Afghanistan:
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) is an international non-profitable Non-governmental humanitarian relief organization with its head quarter in UK-Birmingham. It enjoys consultative status with the Economic and social Council of the United Nations and is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for International Red Cross and red Crescent Moments and NGOs in Disaster Relief. IRW started its operations in Afghanistan in 1992 and have provided humanitarian assistance to millions vulnerable Afghan women, men and girls. IRW is a major player in providing assistance in Education, Emergency Response, Livelihoods, Health, Shelter, Education and girls Education.
Under the supervision of the Head of Program (HOP), the Senior Education Coordinator will be responsible for the vision, strategy, design, monitoring, and quality delivery of Education, literacy and Education in Emergencies (EIE) in Afghanistan. The position will be based in Kabul with frequent visits to the field sites.
The Education Coordinator will be responsible for supporting and building the capacity of national staff and partners engaged in the implementation of the IRW Education, Literacy and Education in Emergencies (EiE) activities. The Coordinator will lead the design, development, and context analysis and needs assessments of new projects focused on education, literacy, livelihoods and EiE. In accordance with IRW Afghanistan’s focus on integrated programming, the Education Coordinator will work closely with other in-country sector-specific Coordinators. In addition, the Coordinator will be the country program focal point for all education, literacy and EiE related meetings, workshops, and task forces. She/he will need to coordinate and liaise with relevant individuals at IRW Birmingham office
Key working Relationship:
- Lead on Education in Emergencies (EIE), Education, Literacy and Livelihood programing.
- Work with Education and EiE officer and Country Line Manager to ensure mainstreaming of EiE into IRW education, literacy and Livelihood program.
- Work closely with M&E unit in country office to ensure Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) commitments and accountability components are addressed in IRW programmes.
- Support the development and delivery of inclusive, sensitive and accountable programmes under education umbrella.
- Channel key recommendations and messaging to IRW Advocacy initiatives, as necessary, to influence policy and practice on education, girls education and EiE.
- Work with key stakeholders within country to ensure education, EiE and literacy education is delivered in a timely, coordinated and quality way.
- Build relationship with donors for enhanced funding for education, literacy and EiE particularly CHF, UNICEF,UNHCR, DFID etc
- Develop proposal for Education, Literacy and Education in Emergencies (EIE) programs
- Represent IRW in education clusters meeting and other task forces related to the prorgam
- Build/ strengthen active partnerships with relevant government agencies and specialized NGOs/ CSOs partners, education and sub cluster on girls education and strengthen referral systems in areas of girls education and Gender Based Violence (GBV);
- Network with key external stakeholders to find areas of collaboration, best practice, innovation, knowledge sharing and partnerships.
- Identify training needs and build the capacity of IRW local staff on education, EiE, Literacy and livelihood.
- Ensure gender, age and diversity analysis is done and updated regularly to respond to beneficiaries needs.
- Proactively exchange learning and synergy with all involved stakeholders.
- Drafts relevant sections of reports required for donors, management, annual reports.
- Collaborate with Monitoring and Evaluation personnel for timely evaluation of projects;
- Participate and influence external platforms on education and inclusivity.
- Conduct monitoring field visits to project areas including for assessments to new area.
- Lead on emergency response activities during a disaster particularly in EIE.
- Actively participate in IR seasonal programs.
Program Management, Monitoring and Program Quality:
- Provide technical supervision of, and technical support and guidance to IRW Afghanistan’s education, girls education, EiE and livelihood programs;
- Ensure that teams utilize standard protocols, policies, guidelines, and legal framework developed by the Government of Afghanistan.
- Ensure that all education, girls education and EiE activities are consistent with established international and national best practices, in close collaboration program teams and technical advisors.
- Lead all research and learning activities in relation to education and girls education
- Ensure appropriate follow-up and decision-making on data relevant to IRW’s education, girls education and EiE programs.
- Ensure all stakeholders are provided with regular updates on education, girls education and EiE in Afghanistan, HQ and the regional team, including Head of Office, Technical Unit, donors, etc.
- Ensure regular performance monitoring visits to field area to achieve the project’s objectives
- Supervise the development of relevant M&E systems and ensure regular follow-up on monitoring data relevant to IRW education, girls education and EiE program
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to improve IRW programs for vulnerable, people, girls and families.
- Monitor evolving needs in the target communities and adjust the programmatic priorities as necessary
- Lead the design of an IRW Education Strategy, in line with the Country Program Strategic Plan.
Identify opportunities for education, girls education, literacy and EiE program development
Design and lead technical assessments to determine needs for education, girls education and EiE program development;
lead on Development of proposals for IRW Afghanistan education, girls education and EiE Program in consultation with field based/CO staff.
identify communication opportunities for internal and external audiences highlighting humanitarian needs related to economic well- being and publicizing on-going projects and research.
Participate in donor meetings to share lessons learned in programming, needs assessments, and determine potential for new funding sources to improve girls well-being and safety.
Coordination, Representation and Advocacy:
- As education, girls education and EiE focal point at country level, participate actively in external coordination and cluster forums; participate in internal coordination and management meetings to promote effective and efficient information sharing, problem-solving and decision making.
- Together with Country Director (CD), Head of Program (HOP) and relevant coordination mechanisms, identify opportunities for advocacy issues related to girls education and education, EiE
- Lead on development of communication material etc for sharing with donors etc.
- Develop and implement staff capacity building plan to ensure quality education, girls education and EiE programming
- Ensure the girls Education and education teams are following IRW policies, including the Girls Safeguarding policy and code of conduct.
- Lead the project team to develop, finalize and closely monitor the project budgets.
- Work closely with the Finance Team to ensure effective financial and budgetary according to approved proposal.
- Ensure corrective measures are taken to address issues of compliance in the project budgets.
- Masters level qualification in Education, Social Sciences, Education, or related field.
- A minimum of 8-10 years professional experience in leading/managing Education, and/or Girls Education projects in humanitarian contexts.
- * Proven experience in managing and/or technically supporting education, literacy and/or girls Education programs.
- Prior experience and excellent understanding of working in emergency settings or insecure environments
- Strong capacity building skills and proven ability to train on topics such as social and emotional learning, case management, parenting, etc.
- Strong leadership, management, project planning, monitoring and evaluation, analytical interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong budget management and reporting, skills; and an ability to oversee multiple awards from a variety of donors
- Strong written and oral communication skills, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and effective in representation
- Able to respond rapidly to changing environments and work under pressure
- Fluency in English required; knowledge of Dari and Pashtu preferred
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and diplomacy skills.
- Effective IT skills including word processing and spreadsheet.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to travel field based on need.
Interested and qualified national candidates should submit a cover letter explaining their motivation and updated CV to the following email address:email@example.com
The closing date for accepting applications is 04:00pm, Wednesday 15 August 2018.
CVs will be reviewed & interview will take place on daily basis and the position may be filled before the deadline due to the urgent need of the role.
Please clearly state the Vacancy Announcement number and title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
Contract Durationone year with possibility of extension
Number of positions1