- Vacancy Number FAO/KBL/PRJ/SC/43-2019
- Salary Offer USD 1,214
- Total Years Experience At least five (5) years of relevant work experie
- Education University degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Software Engineering,
- Contract Duration 12 Months (Extendable)
- No. Of Jobs: 1
- Gender Male, Female
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response to conflict and natural affected events. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation; and
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food & nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
The overall goal of the project is to improve monitoring and analysis of agricultural production systems to support agricultural policies and food security in the country. The project’s objectives are: i) to improve monitoring and analysis of agricultural production systems; ii) to develop/strengthen land resources information management systems (LRIMS) and National Agro-Ecological Zoning (NAEZ) and iii) enhance the capacity at national and provincial levels for collection, monitoring, analysis and dissemination of agriculture information based on integration of remotely-sensed data and technology for decision-making to support agricultural policies and food security in the country.
Purpose of this vacancy announcement:
FAO is looking for qualified national staff to support the work of the FAO –EC funded project “The Project for Strengthening Afghanistan Institutions’ capacity for the Assessment of Agriculture Production and Scenario Development.
FAO holds the ultimate responsibility for the implementation of the project, the delivery of the planned outputs and the achievement of the expected outcomes. The project will be managed and implemented by FAO.
The project activities are implemented successfully, timely and effectively in conformity with the objectives of the project.
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Afghanistan and the direct supervision of National Team Leader, and technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) in the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), and in close collaboration with the relevant staff in FAO Afghanistan and counterpart entities, the Database & Portal Development Assistant the incumbent will carry out the following tasks;
- Develop a comprehensive dynamic portal for GIS capable (M&E, ATLAS, NAEZ, LRIMS, Project Website, Climate Change Existing Forecast, Crop Monitoring and Crop Bulletin and Scenarios) of reporting detail information at different administrative levels and several information formats;
- Manage data portal and server access in the organization;
- Test the data storage, server, and web-tools as part of the database system in the organization and mobile application;
- Troubleshooting review, the current database systems;
- Implementing and combining SDLC Methodologies and using it in the organization projects;
- Ensure that the web-based tools are capable of preparing statistical tables, graphs, maps and other information outputs;
- Develop Desktop, Mobile and Web based applications for the project;
- Ensure that data is accessible and exportable through several statistical packages, including SPSS, STATA, Excel and others;
- Provide the data in desired formats to the project and other stakeholders;
- Regularly backup the systems in different places for safety purpose;
- Support data collection for the LRIMS and NAEZ database population;
- Responsible for performing regular data cleaning and administration tasks such as uploading data using the data loader tool;
- Develop specifications for hardware and software requirements;
- Assist in the analysis of the user specification, needs description and functionality and identification of the data requirements;
- Deliver training along with materials and user guide documents;
- Developing and dissemination of news through the official Web sites of the European Union, FAO, government stakeholders and Global Agro-Ecological Zones (GAEZ);
- Assist National Project Manager and staff in preparing ad-hoc, six-monthly and annual progress reports;
- Perform any other duties as required by the National Team Leader and FAO management.
- Design M&E System for the project, GIS/RS/Statistics Database Development
- Desktop and Mobile Application development for ATLAS, NAEZ, LRIMS, Project Website, Climate Change Existing Forecast, Crop Monitoring and Crop Bulletin and Scenarios
- Embed and Update Project results in MAIL website and MIS/web portal
- Develop GIS oriented Portal for the Project NAEZ Results
- Web apps (‘StoryMap’ and ‘Web Atlas’)
- University degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Software Engineering, Information Technology or relevant fields from a recognized university;
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in data science, database development, data collection and validation, web-based application, portal development, M&E systems with UN and international organizations, embassies, donor-funded projects or Government of Afghanistan in a multi-cultural offices environment is required.
- Experience with donor funded projects, Government of Afghanistan and UN agencies will be an added advantage;
Other Desirable Skills:
- Working experience with ministries, national institutions and the rural sector in Afghanistan;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and coordination skills, and proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stake holders to achieve common goals;
- Good knowledge of protocol, good judgment and initiative
- Good knowledge of corporate information systems
- Good data analysis skills and interpretation of data;
- Strong computer skills, in especially all MS Office applications and basic internet search engines or other relevant online tools;
- Familiarity with UN agencies procedures for project implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local languages, both spoken and written skills.
Interested Afghan nationals should complete the FAO Personal History Form (PHF) and submit it along with their application letter and CV to the email address below, clearly mentioning the vacancy number and post title (Database & Portal Development Assistant – FAO/KBL/PRJ/SC/43-2019) in the subject line of the email, otherwise your email will not be considered. Please send to:
NOTE: Applicants who fail to attach the FAO Personal History Form (PHF) their Application will not be considered.
The above required documents can also be submitted in hard copy (in a sealed envelope, marked “Confidential” and clearly indicating the Vacancy Announcement number and position title) to: The Assistant FAO Representative (Administration), FAO Representation Office, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, Jamal Mina, Opposite Kabul University, Kabul, Afghanistan.
The FAO PH Form can be downloaded using the following link:
The last date for receiving applications is 19 November 2019. Please note that applications received after closing date will not be considered. Only short listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for a test/interview.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce gender diversity;
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply;
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality;
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization;
- Candidates endorsed in the selection process for this vacancy announcement will be considered for the FAO NSHR Roster for a period of two years. The Roster is used to fill other similar positions at the same or lower grade, and in the same or another duty station inside the country;
- FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
- Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing);
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview/test;
- Application received after closing date will not be given consideration;
- Please make sure to sign the first page of your PHF (Personal History Form) while applying for the vacant post;
- Do not forget to write the post title and VA number on subject of your email;
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments;
- Email will only be sent to the interviewed candidates;