- Vacancy Number CRD13/20
- Salary Offer NTA, Grade D
- Total Years Experience At least five years of relevant experience in the
- Education University degree in medicine (Medical doctor)
- No. Of Jobs: 2
- Gender Male, Female
Background Information – Cordaid
Cordaid was established in 2000, when several Dutch aid organizations joined forces. But our history goes back more than a century. Cordaid has changed over the years and is more than a donor now. Reducing fragility has become our core priority and we work in all contexts of fragility, from relief, through rehabilitation to longer term development. To do this effectively we seek funds, start partnerships and compete on a global market.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments and inspired by compassion, solidarity and subsidiarity, Cordaid’s mission is to reduce fragility and the vulnerability of people where it is most needed and most difficult. We recognize that the overriding challenge in fragile and (post-)conflict countries is restoring trust and social cohesion, at community level and between communities and the state. This is what Cordaid does, right in the heart of communities, by mobilizing global networks, resources and knowledge. By doing this, we help people move beyond survival and live in dignity.
Cordaid does this by promoting equality and social inclusion, by increasing the resilience of people and societies and by strengthening the social contract between citizens and their governments. Wherever we can, we combine lifesaving humanitarian aid with the longer-term improvement of health care systems, economic opportunities and resilience, and the promotion of security and justice.
Background Information – Afghanistan Country Office
Cordaid has been active in Afghanistan since 2001, aiming at a stable and peaceful country. We work in 6 thematic areas: health care, humanitarian aid, resilience, security and justice, private sector development, which are supported by lobby and advocacy activities. We provide programmatic leadership and require that our operations and those of our local partners are implemented to the highest standards complemented with knowledge generation that incorporates best practices and lessons learned.
Background Information – Job-specific
As part of the global community, Afghanistan is at risk of developing the outbreak given large number of arrivals from Iran, and other affected countries by COVID-19. Though Ministry of Public Health has announced 40 confirmed cases of COVID-19 so far, which may account for the relatively low number of confirmed cases given the high number of border crossings with Iran where there are thousands of cases.
To contribut to the health response in mitigation of the recent COVID-19 outbreak and reduce related morbidity and mortality, Cordaid mobilizes resources for implementation of cost effective and high impact interventions, in close coordination with MoPH and health partners, to strengthen effective humanitarian health actions in Afgahnistan.
Considering the WHO recommendations, Cordaid will focus on prevention of widespread community transmission through community engagement and awareness, effective coordination, and capacity building of the local health workers.
The incumbent of this position is mainly responsible for ensuring integrated and effective implementation of COVID-19 Control program through establishing and maintaining broad network of relationships, cooperation and coordination with provincial MoPH, WHO, Health Cluster, NGOs, community and other stakeholders at the provincial level.
- Coordinate with provincial MoPH, partners, including BPHS and EPHS implemting NGO for better results at the area of responsibility
- Support the provincial public health directorate advocacy efforts on mobilizing resources and strengthening solidarity for reduction of the COVID19 morbidity and mortality with donors and health cluster and government at provincial level
- Monitor implementation of the program, provide on time and effective feedback to implementing partners, and establish a strong follow up mechanism for M&E findings to improve quality of program activities
- Conduct risk communication campaigns to public using provincial media (TV and radio)
- Make sure that the capacity of local health staff is built to control COVID-19
- Make sure community is aware and fully engaged in implementation of the program
- Capture lessons learned and best practices, documentation and dissemination of information, assisting developing presentations, abstracts, articles, etc.
- Contribute to the development and follow up of provincial action plans for control of COVID-19
- Identify and report problems that interfere in achieving program targets and make suggestions for improvement of program
- Submit timely and accurate weekly and monthly reports as required
- Undertake regular visits to the field
- Any other tasks assigned by line manager.
- University degree in medicine (Medical doctor)
- Having master’s degree in public health from recognized university is prefered
- At least five years of relevant experience in the relevant field of health within the government or non-governmental organizations Ability to to plan, coordinate and monitor capacity development and workplan
- Excellent interpersonal, co-ordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Ability to work successfully in a challenging environment with restricted resources and cope with stressful situations
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a decentralized environment
- Good understanding of Afghanistan’s health sector and health system strenghtning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in local languages and English.
- Ability and willingness to travel to provinces
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Kabul time
- Applications should include a motivation letter and an extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified
- For staff positions Cordaid reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
Please write in the Subject line the announced position and province you applying for.