Tetra Tech USAID ARD-ISLA Project:
The purpose of the Initiative to Strengthen Local Administrations (ISLA) Program is to strengthen the sub-national government system in Afghanistan to enable the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) to improve provincial governance in the areas of fiscal and development planning, representation of citizens, and enhanced delivery of public services. The ISLA program will strengthen subnational systems in the areas of planning, operations, communication, representation, and citizen engagement. Improvements in these areas, along with the passage of clear, legal sub-national governance frameworks by GIRoA will improve GIRoA’s ability to prioritize service delivery and develop central plans and budgets that represent provincial interests. This will lead to services that more closely respond to all citizens’ needs in health, education, security, justice, and urban services. As all citizens benefit from public services, their perception of government legitimacy will increase. The core problems to be addressed are better integration of provincial priorities into the national plan and budget, and strengthened flows of information. The program will work within the existing system to improve its functionality. This will be done by fostering a combination of top-down and bottom-up consultative processes between central and provincial levels to formulate plans and budgets that align with local community service delivery priorities and with national developmental priorities and available resources.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Accountant will assist Finance Manager in overall administrative and financial management for effective and efficient project implementation. This position is based in the ISLA Project Office in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Principal Duties and Tasks
- Responsible for managing petty cash payments, replenishment, recording and cashcounts on regular basis.
- Maintain adequate and appropriate internal controls to meet generally recognized accounting standards.
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining project filing system (electronic, hard) with required documentation.
- Prepare Disbursement Vouchers for payments prior to recording in accounting software.
- Prepare wire transfers, checks and pay slips for various payments.
- Issue and reconciliation of travel advances for staff, consultants, and other short-term assistance. Liaise with Travel Coordinator on travel advance reconciliation prior to employee or consultant separation.
- Contribute to tracking of taxes paid to the GIRoA through local purchases and preparation of required reports for USAID and other parties as needed.
- Assisting in the closing of monthly accounts for submission to Tetra Tech Home Office.
- Travel to provinces to coordinate and facilitate the payment of DSA/travel expenses to non-ISLA participants of ISLA sponsored events. This includes the management of all payment records related to such disbursements.
- Support the Finance Specialist in resolving accounting issues as needed to ensure compliance with Tetra Tech policies and procedures and USAID rules and regulations.
- Contribute to team effort by undertaking additional tasks and responsibilities as requested.
- The current job description will be periodically revisited as needed to reflect current realities and project needs. Amendments can be added to that effect.
The Accountant will report directly to Finance Manager. Direct reporting may change according to project needs.
Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in accounting, finance, or similar field is required (relevant experience and another degree may substitute for degrees mentioned). Minimum of 4 years of experience in an equivalent position requiring financial and administrative capacity. Experience working in a similar position for an NGO or an international organization is preferred. Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels and functions within the company. Requires an ability to work independently, accept responsibility, and be extremely discrete with sensitive information. Must have the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, must be flexible and willing to perform other duties. Experience with accounting software is preferred, especially QuickBooks. Proficient in Microsoft Office package, especially Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, and Word. Excellent language proficiency in spoken and written Dari, Pashto, and English.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their resumes with a detailed application letter and a contact details, no later than January 21, 2017 to HR@isla-af.com
Please clearly indicate “Accountant ISLA 17 – 0042” in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be informed for the interview.
Contract Duration1 Year
Vaccancy NumberISLA - 17 - 0042
Number of positions1