The Project „Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication (MEC-Project)” has been running since May 2013. Based on the project offer to Germany’s Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, the program aims at enhancing public outreach of German-Afghan Development activities as well as improving the capacities of civil servants in Afghan governmental institutions in monitoring and evaluation as well as communication motivated team.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication Project Objectives:
• Increasing awareness of the successes of civilian reconstruction work
• Improvement of the continuous provision of quantitative data of the German-Afghan cooperation
• Increasing the communication skills of the Ministry of Finance
• Increase in M & E competence of the Ministry of Economy
On behalf of the German Government Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) has been appointed to assist Afghanistan’s Ministry of the Economy in improving its capacities for monitoring and evaluation (M&E). The Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication (MEC) project is responsible for cooperating with the ministry, in particular the component for Monitoring & Evaluation capacity development. Besides helping the ministry improve its M&E capacities nationally, MEC project is supporting the General Directorate of Plan and Results Based Monitoring in the ministry of economy M&E officers and expert with providing capacity development measures/trainings
MEC supported the ministry of economy employees with five capacity development trainings/measures in 2016 on the following topics:
• Business communication
• Policy Monitoring
• STATA and data analysis
• Results-Based Monitoring and Evaluation
• Program/Project Evaluation
MEC would like to conduct an impact evaluation of the provided trainings with the ministry of economy’s employees who received the trainings to measure and evaluate the results of the trainings according the OECD-DAC criteria and GIZ evaluation approach.
To measure the results GIZ MEC would like the consultant/evaluator to develop two approaches a) online survey and b) focus group discussion with graduates of the trainings and also the employees’ superiors in the ministry of economy.
Methodology and Main Task
The evaluation consultant will be doing the followings
• To conduct desk review for the trainings TORs and the training outlines.
• Develop questionnaire for the online survey together with the GIZ MEC relevant officers to collect feedback of the training participants on the training and its usefulness (max participation of 70% of the total participants (50 persons) the questions min should have 15 questions.
• Develop key questions for the focus group discussions and conduct the session in the ministry of economy (two focus group discussions with max participation of 10 persons in each session)
• Analyzing of the collected data and feedback through the online survey and in the focus group discussions.
• Write the report and provide recommendations for further development and new training measure for the employees of the ministry of economy in 2017.
The contract timeframe is from 25th Jan-10 Feb 2017 for 7 working days
Assignment Dates Durations (Days)
Desk Review of the TORs and training outlines 26th Jan 1 day
Develop questionnaire for online survey 28-29th Jan 2 days
Conduct focus group discussions 30th and 31st Jan 2 days
Data analysis 5th Feb 1 days
Report writing 9th Feb 1 days
Coordination and Reporting
The Consultant shall closely work and coordinate the implementation of the activity with Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication Project Team. Consultant should report to the GIZ MEC deputy team leader
The evaluator/consultant will work closely with MEC officers and report to MEC deputy team leader and he or she will provide the followings:
• Workplan after contract signing
• Questionnaire for the online survey
• FGD results and reports
• Raw collected data
• Report of the survey and the focus group discussions including with recommendation for further developments
• The consultant/evaluator should have relevant experiences in conducting result evaluation and online survey
• The consultant/evaluator should have knowledge about OECD-DAC evaluation criteria.
• Should have working experience with the civil servant.
• Should have knowledge and experience working with the social science data analysis software such as STATA and R to analysis the data.
• Able to conduct the survey and the focus group discussions in local languages and in English languages,
• Should have knowledge of report writing in English.
Interested candidates who are qualified can send their application to Contracting-Unit.email@example.com no later than 15th January, 2017.
-Only those candidates will be called for interview who meets the qualification and requirements for the mentioned position.
-Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
-DO NOT attach any other documents and certificates.
Contract Duration7 Days
Number of positions1