Save the Children:
Save the Children is an international independent non-governmental, non- profit, organisation founded in 1919. We work in over 120 countries worldwide. We are the world’s leading independent organisation for Children. Our vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities, teachers and health workers in homes, schools, clinics and hospitals to promote hygiene and basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
The Project Officer (Education) is responsible for providing high-quality programmatic support and assistance for implementation of the Let’s Write for Afghan Children (LWAC) project aiming to enhance reading culture among Afghan Children as well as enabling them to access into interesting reading material developed and published locally. The role of Project Officer is to assist and support implementation of this project considered as an action research and innovation in improving reading culture in the context of diverse culture and language of Afghanistan.
The main responsibilities of the position holder
• Assist the Let’s Write for Afghan Children project team in terms of implementation of the project.
• Follow up the implementation of the Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs) for all components of the project.
• Provide necessary support to the Project team in conducting a National Campaign for creating the reading culture among children at home, school and community levels.
• Provide necessary support in the process of hiring potential writers, publishers and building strong partnership with them in the areas of writing and publishing books for children.
• Support the beneficiary communities through streamlining of reading activities and promoting field coordination with related thematic areas and Ministry of Education (MoE) and department (PEDs and DEDs)
• Providing technical assistance in collecting data of potential families and schools for utilizing the book corners.
• Closely Coordinate and support the relevant activities of the project with SCI field offices.
• Provide necessary administrative support in facilitation of capacity building workshops for potential writers and publishers in the area of writing and publishing books for children.
• Keep the records of relevant monthly and quarterly progress reports of the project.
• Assist in coordination process of the relevant activities of the project with SCI field offices.
• Provide administrative support in arranging meetings for (LWAC) staff with different afghan writers.
• Update the filling system daily with incoming and outgoing correspondence.
• Support the education officers in the implementation of the field work.
• Carry out any other relevant task assigned by the project team.
Skills and Behaviours: SCI Values in Practice
• Ensure that the position holder work to the best of his/her ability and demonstrate high levels of commitment to SC Afghanistan in order to ensure the objectives of role and the country programme are met.
• Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace
• Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
Lead, manage and motivate a team, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
Other duties as directed.
(Obviously this needs to only include duties that could be reasonably expected to be carried out by someone with the skills, experience and seniority associated with the job in question).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor degree in social science, Management or any other relevant field
• Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar position with an International NGO/Government including experience of working on the field implementation of education projects.
• Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Expertise using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and internet applications.
• Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children International’s mission, vision, and values and cross cultural team approach.
• Experience in implementation of reading programmes is an asset.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties from time to time which are reasonable in relation to their level of skills and experience.
In the event of a significant humanitarian emergency, the post-holder will be expected to work outside their normal job description; vary their working hours; and occasionally work from a different location should the need arise.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health &Safety and Security
The post holder is required to carry out their duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures and our Global Security policy and procedures.
Compliance policies: Child Safeguarding and Code of Conduct; Anti-Bribery and Fraud
The post holder is required to comply with these key policies, and other organizational policies and procedures, at all times.
Submission Guideline: Qualified candidates may send their Application, including a letter of interest and CV to Save the Children International Human Resources department House # 586 , Street 5, Qala-i-Fatullah, District 10, Kabul, Afghanistan, Or to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Applicants should indicate VA Number and Post Title on the email subject line when submitting their application, SCI will not consider any applications received without VA Number and Post Title (Project Officer (Education), VA# 17-010) in the email subject line and after the closing date of the VA Save the Children International Provide an equal employment opportunity. Only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted. To ensure fairness and transparency, selection will be made on a competitive basis through a selection panel.
- Experience2 Years
- QualificationBachelor Degree
- Contract DurationJuly 2017
- Vaccancy Number17-010
- Number of positions1
Related Jobs (10)
- Reading Promotion & Library Capacity Development Specialist on February 23, 2017 Full Time