Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Herat.
The overall project development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
• Participate in the selection process of the project areas and sites
•Selection of farmers for baseline data collection
•Data compilation, cleaning/validation and entry in to data base
• Design, in cooperation with the team members, a M&E system for progress, effect and impact monitoring
• Coordinate with the other team members for the data collection to develop a proper M&E system
•Collection of Mid-term evaluation data, compilation, validation and entry in PMIS, analyze and reporting against baseline
•Collection of impact evaluation data and analyze it
• Collect, in cooperation with the other team members, the basic data required for the estimation of the financial feasibility of the proposed interventions, analyze the financial feasibility of the proposed interventions
• Project completion report
•Monitoring of irrigation scheme under construction
• Internal monitoring project stuff
• Properly document the in-kind contribution by the Irrigation Association in the actual physical/rehabilitation work of the watercourse
• Work closely with the M&E firm in his/her respective duty station
• Report the proposed M&E System, the collected data as well as financial analysis as part of the survey reports
• Prepare a first year plan of operations for M&E data collection
• Perform any other task assigned by Area Team leader/M&E Specialist
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
The candidate must have achieved a Bachelor degree in a relevant field (Agriculture, Agriculture Economic, Economics, ) with minimum of 3-4 years of experience in M&E in irrigated agriculture.
Major achievement in career may substitute for long experience and educational requirements.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in M&E in irrigated agriculture
Demonstrated knowledge of financial feasibility analysis
Ability to use personal computers and related software
Ability to express ideas concisely and clearly preferably in both English and Pashtu/Dari
Writing skills and demonstrated ability to develop written reports and action plans in both in English and Dari
Considerable interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
Considerable experience and demonstrated ability to serve the public in a courteous and professional manner
Send your CV to:
On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock,
Address: Kabul University Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
Please send your CV to both email address.
Note: No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for written test .
The Subject Line Must be Reference number
Contract Duration1 Year
Number of positions1
Related Jobs (10)
Regional Horticulture Extension Officer/Re-announce on February 20, 2018 Full Time
متخصص/عضو هیئت نظار دربخش عملیاتی و مدیریت ایرلاین د آریانا افغان هوای شرکت on February 12, 2018 Part Time
عضو هیات نظار در بخش مدیریت استراتژیک و تجارتی د آریانا افغان هوایی شرکت on February 11, 2018 Full Time