Save the Children:
Save the Children is an international independent non-governmental, non- profit, organisation founded in 1919. We work in over 120 countries worldwide. We are the world’s leading independent organisation for Children. Our vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children has worked in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
The Social Organizer will be responsible for community mobilization and engagement for the ARC Disaster Risk Reduction Project in Jawzjan and Sar-I-pul provinces. This position requires regular visit to communities and interaction with community people, particularly women and children in the community.
• Assist the Project team and DRR officer to conduct the related community need assessment
• Maintaining regular communication with community, particularly women and children on community Disaster Risk Reduction
• Motivating and organising community women and children on Disaster Risk Reduction initiatives and practice
• Working closely with the DRR Training Officer for arranging, conducting and following-up training relevant to the project
• Assist the team and the Training Officer for updated information on Community Disaster Risk Reduction progress from the community
• Follow-up and support the groups trained to act accordingly
• Provide support for preparing Community Disaster Management Plans
• Provide support for preparing School Disaster Management Plans
• Establishing and maintaining linkages among groups in the community
• Support the Project Officer to generate qualitative and quantitative data to document milestones of project progress and submit to the Project Manager on monthly basis
• Assist the Project Officer for conducting regular monitoring and reporting
• Keep the Project Officer updated on the progress of the project and any issues that may arise during the course of the implementation that need Project Manager’s attention
• Update the Project Officer on any information related to security and follow security instructions of the organisation strictly
• Any other task assigned by the Project Officer or senior management of SCI
• On regular basis, collect district data of program activities, review and check to ensure that all information is correct and adequate
• Compile district data and information into agreed system and files so that they are readily available and accessible for reports.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results together with children and role modelling Save the Children values;
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for self and team, takes responsibility for own personal development and encourages team to do the same;
• Widely shares personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others;
• Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with own team, colleagues at both national and regional level members, donors and partners;
• Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
• Willing to take disciplined risks.
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency;
• Always acts in the best interests of children.
The ideal candidate will have the following education, work experience, skills and qualities:
a. Minimum Class 10 – 12 passed
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
a. Able to communicate in local languages minimum level of English
b. Ability to articulate ideas in a clear manner
1. Physical fitness for travel to difficult terrain and willingness for sustained fieldwork.
2. Familiarity with Jawzjan and Saripul will be advantageous
3. Previous experience of working for an NGO at field level will be highly desirable
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties from time to time which are reasonable in relation to their level of skills and experience.
In the event of a significant Program activity, the post-holder will be expected to work outside their normal job description; vary their working hours; and occasionally work from a different location should the need arise.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health &Safety and Security
The post holder is required to carry out their duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures and our Global Security policy and procedures.
Compliance policies: Child Safeguarding and Code of Conduct; Anti-Bribery and Fraud
The post holder is required to comply with these key policies, and other organizational policies and procedures, at all times.
Submission Guideline: Qualified candidates may send their Application, including a letter of interest and CV to Save the Children International Human Resources department House # 586 , Street 5, Qala-i-Fatullah, District 10, Kabul, Afghanistan, Or to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Applicants should indicate VA Number and Post Title on the email subject line when submitting their application, SCI will not consider any applications received without VA Number and Post Title (DRR Community Mobilizer, VA# 17-009) in the email subject line and after the closing date of the VA Save the Children International Provide an equal employment opportunity. Only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted. To ensure fairness and transparency, selection will be made on a competitive basis through a selection panel. – See more at: http://www.acbar.org/jobs/10061.jsp#sthash.XNf1VXGr.dpuf – See more at: http://www.acbar.org/jobs/10075/DRR-MEAL-Assistant.jsp#sthash.BUMZkVRZ.dpuf
- Experience2 Years
- QualificationHigh School
- Contract DurationFixed Term (31 June 2019)
- Vaccancy Number17-009
- Number of positions1